Thursday, April 30, 2015

Fiber Art Earrings with Precious Stones and Glass





So, I made earrings today for the craft fair in a week and a half. The problem is I  might keep them! I like these multi-green ones with aventurine the best.

Amethyst and Acrylic?!



One thing that is unique about these fiber art pieces is the fiber I used to make them---it's acrylic!

I used Lion's brand Homespun. I know quite a few knitters and fiber artists that really don't like this particular yarn, and I can't blame them, it bunches, is to textured you can't see any pattern your knit, and the tension is wacky. It also comes apart.

But wait, it also comes apart!

 

I should clean these up a bit  more.

There are three reasons why I still choose to work with this yarn:


1.Pretty colors! So many colors merged into one yarn, so bright and beautiful. And washable!!!!
2. It's very soft and warm and light
3. You can take it apart!






By gently pulling on the plying strand I can separate it from the poofy  acrylic "roving." But was surprised to find two more threads in the second ply! This took a more gentle extraction, and the leftover "roving" is very soft and easy to pull apart.




Because acrylic won't felt, the other challenge I had was how to secure the ends of the fibers after I had wound them around the eye pin. Elmer's Glue All, anyone?

Then I wrapped the same thread I had just pulled out of the yarn around the created fiber bead. It was designed to match!

No comments:

Post a Comment