Friday, April 10, 2015

Being an Artist: What Media Do You Work In? All of Them

How many times have you been asked "Are you an artist? What media do you work in?"

Do most artists only work in one media, really? Do you?

Isn't being an artist so much more? Sure there are visual artists, preforming artists, musical artists, writing arts, etc. But who says your art is defined by only one way of expression? 

What is art all about? Expressing something, usually abstract through a physical means.   Emotion through sound, honor and justice through heroism and plot, beauty and dignity through jewelry, etc.

I don't like working in one media only. In fact, I can't. My brain and inspiration won't let me.

 One of the things I DON'T like about the multifaceted aspect  of my work is that
  • 1. it becomes harder to market when people don't know what to expect, and 
  • 2. I feel like I will never become a master craftsperson at anything.
And both of these objections can be circumvented.

But what is so great about dabbling about in so many mediums? WELL. I'm glad you asked.




 Invention. Expression. Sometimes the means carry the message, sometimes the processes merge together to create a new medium, sometimes you're poor and can't afford all the supplies so you use what you have and are more creative for it.

No art form was created without borrowing something from another industry or craft. 


Paint needs pigment and minerals, chemistry and geology. Music needs the physics of materials, math, and notation. Fiber art needs animal husbandry, fashion skills and the chemistry of dyes.

And so, mixed media, which has become another sort of media on it's own, is a creation of more art forms. Performance painting! I would love to do that, mix theater, painting, and digital arts.  Maybe I will someday and make a video. Hm. I'd need a dancer and a great camera for that.

Another thing about moving around in your media is that you won't get as stagnant about your subjects, your skill set with one of your media will strengthen and broaden. You can learn new brush strokes for your oil painting through calligraphy.


Mixed media is more than mixing media, it's about using what is best for the expression of your message, and inventing the future of expression for someone else. You can hone your skills and be a master at what you invented! Explore the possibilities of mixing oils and watercolor! Can't think it can be done?

I'll take that as a challenge. 



My handmade traveling art kit.




1 comment:

  1. Hi. I just stumbled upon your homemade art kit and I am so fascinated and would love to see more pictures of it and how you made it. Great job! Oh, and right, Who only works in one media???? lol. Not any artist I know.

    ReplyDelete