Sunday, June 28, 2015

Between Two Worlds CIVA Conference 2015: Post Event Reactions and Musings from Me

The art and artists that I saw at this event intimidated me. 

  At first, seeing others artwork in such formal (and seemingly lucrative) settings felt a bit depressing. I felt, and to an extent still feel, like a small-time artist with small-time dreams.

However, seeing that there were successful artists who dealt with this subject matter was encouraging.

The scope of the artwork helped me choose to re-evaluate my career direction and the scope of my own art projects.

Here's my name tag, the conference book, and a book we got in our packet. 


 Most of the conference was panels, hour and a half introductions, "lectures," and discussions of contemporary art and how the church dialogs with it.



 One concept that I took away from the many panels was a general duty on the part of the church to open the dialogue between secular artists and art related to the faith.

A major goal of the church in incorporating art is creating an inviting atmosphere for secular artists for mature dialogue, often by raising more questions than appearing to have all the answers to begin with.


 Posture at approaching this subject with the secular art world was a big topic. Humility, maturity, and excellence seemed to be the three main factors needed to engage the contemporary art world.  

Here is a robin that was hanging out on a bush and I couldn't resist taking a picture of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment